Re: drag'n'drop is grab'n'drop for non-visual users

Gregory wrote:

> proposed keystrokes for action:
>
> "grab" = Modifier/ Control / Command / Whatever plus g
> "drop" = Modifier/ Control / Command/ Whatever plus d

We discussed using mod+g for "grab" at a DHTML style guide meeting, but
it was noted that mod+g is strongly associated with "find again".  We
didn't want to overload its meaning.

In a similar vein, it is undesirable to overload mod+x, mod+c and mod+v
-- not all drag-and-drop operations are cut/copy/paste.  One of the ARIA
drop effects is "make a link".  Another is "execute"; for example,
dragging a sound file and dropping it on a media player, where the
intended operation is to "open" the file.  Thus, it's also undesirable
to overload the standard cut/copy/paste keystrokes for all drag-and-drop
operations.  While drag-and-drop is a common set of mouse gestures, the
user's goal varies from context to context.

We settled on something that is neutral:  mod+m to indicate both that
the set of draggables has been fixed ("start the drag"), and, when
focussed on a drop target, to indicate that it is be dropped there.

--
;;;;joseph

'This is not war -- this is pest control!'
      - "Doomsday", Dalek Leader -