Re: summary="" in HTML5 ISSUE-32

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 22:43:52 +0000 (UTC)
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: Matt Morgan-May <mattmay@adobe.com>, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc>, David Poehlman <poehlman1@comcast.net>, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, Robert J Burns <rob@robburns.com>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, Leif Halvard Silli <lhs@malform.no>, James Graham <jgraham@opera.com>, Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, Steve Axthelm <steveax@pobox.com>, Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>, HTMLWG <public-html@w3.org>, "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, "wai-liaison@w3.org" <wai-liaison@w3.org>, "janina@rednote.net" <janina@rednote.net>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, W3C WAI Protocols & Formats <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>
On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Dan Connolly wrote:

> > This needs to be stated as clearly as possible: @summary is not
> > <caption>. There may be some overlap in the minds of HTML WG members,
> > but my read is that no one on the PF side shares that opinion. (Please
> > speak up if any of you disagree.) @summary serves a specific purpose:
> > to offer a description of the visual and structural makeup of a table
> > _specifically_ for the benefit of non-visual users.
>
> That's the 2nd time in this thread that I've seen someone take issue
> with the problem statement/goals. (the other was Faulkner 24 Feb 2009
> 10:25:49 +0000).
>
> Ian, I have seen your responses regarding some of the proposed
> solutions, but not these points about the problem statement.
>
> What do you think of the more constrained problem statement, addressing
> "rendering to non-visual media such as speech and Braille"?

I think that there is evidence (e.g. Steven's dataset) that shows that if
we have a media-dependent feature for this, that users of other media will
in some cases be disenfranchised.

I did in fact respond to comments along these lines here:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Feb/0601.html
   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Feb/0690.html

As Maciej notes, having features intended for specific media and features
that are not acessible to all users is contrary to our principles of
media-independence and accessibility.