Re: summary="" in HTML5 ISSUE-32

As this is an ongoing discussion and will be moved forward properly, I
don't want to go over old ground but suffice it to say, all of these
points have been previously aired and while there is a real desire and
need for improvement, nothing yet seen has been shown to adaquately
replace @summary and also, @summary can be utillized in most if not
all of the instances described.

As I have stated before, it is necessary to take great care when
determining when/whether something should be hidden especially when it
brings added value to the content.  @summary if done well should not
be hidden as its rendering benefits more than "nonvisual" users.
Sooooooo many times, I have ben walking through content with someone
and the topic of what is in the summary comes up to which they reply,
I don't see that.  I have to read it to them because it is hidden.
I'm getting off track though.  I am waiting and hoping for an outcome
that either replaces or improves @summary but if replaced, it must be
equal to or better than.

Thanks for listening.

On Feb 25, 2009, at 1:26 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

On Feb 25, 2009, at 9:23 AM, David Poehlman wrote:

> Maciej,
>
> This is something with which I agree but what I was wondering about
> is something quite narrow in scope.  I take it for granted that folk
> wouldn't be doing this work if they were not interested and am not
> fluent in many languages but am aware that they are out there and
> that others are fluent in languages both singly and multiply that I
> am not.
>
> What actually mystifies me and I've been following every nuounce of
> the conversation over a long span on several lists is that there has
> not been shown to be anything satisfactorily demonstrated to replace
> what can be and has been used as such an accessibility enhancing
> attribute as @summary.

Many alternatives to summary have been proposed. At least the
following techniques have been suggested as ways to provide additional
information about tables:

1) Use the table caption.
2) Use a separate piece of explanatory text above or below the table.
3) Use the title attribute on the caption.
4) Use a details element inside the caption.
5) Use a separate piece of explanatory text above or below the table,
using media-specific CSS rules to hide it from visual users.
6) Variants of 4 and 5 using ARIA to associate the information with
the table.

You may not think that these have not been satisfactorily demonstrated
to replace summary, but I think that is a debatable point, not a
blindingly obvious truth.

There has also been discussion about whether different techniques
might be appropriate to different kinds of additional information:

A) Descriptions of the table's data layout, making it easier to
navigate the table.
B) Conclusions that summarize the data in the table, so one could skip
the table entirely if not interested in the details.
C) Additional information not found in the table at all, but relating
to its contents.
D) Indications that this table is a layout table.

I think there can be honest disagreement over whether summary is the
best technique to convey some or all of these kinds of information.
For example, it seems clear to me that (C) is information that should
be presented to all users, even those not using assistive
technologies; and cases could be made for (A) and (B) as well,
depending on the context. (D) seems like information that would only
be useful for non-visual rendering. Ian thinks we don't need any
mechanism for (D) because layout tables are nonconforming. Some, for
example Henri, strongly disagree and think we need to adapt to the de
facto reality of layout tables.

Perhaps there are other kinds of information that might be conveyed in
the summary attribute and that are useful for use of tables with
assistive technologies.

It seems to me that we can have a lot of productive discussion about
what kind of information needs to be conveyed, who might find it
useful, and what markup best meets those goals.

> I'm not saying that ideas are not welcomed or discouraged but that
> there are some hard facts that need to be considered if we are ever
> going to move toward striking @summary from need.

I am all for consideration of hard facts.

Regards,
Maciej