Re: Example canvas element use - accessibility concerns

From: David Poehlman <david.poehlman@handsontechnologeyes.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:55:12 -0500
Cc: Rob Sayre <rsayre@mozilla.com>, "John Foliot - WATS.ca" <foliot@wats.ca>, 'Geoffrey Sneddon' <foolistbar@googlemail.com>, 'HTML WG' <public-html@w3.org>, 'W3C WAI-XTECH' <wai-xtech@w3.org>
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
you're right about that, voiceover gives me gibberish for the ascii
art is this what you mean?

On Feb 23, 2009, at 1:48 PM, David Singer wrote:

There's something I meant to say about using canvas to write a text
editor:  it's kinda  tour-de-force, and a nice example, but I don't
think anyone would claim it was a good way, or a natural, or right,
way to do it.

It is roughly as appropriate as doing 'line printer art'.  I rather
assume a screen-reader would not give a, well, recognizable,
description of this page:
<http://local.wasp.uwa.edu.au/~pbourke/dataformats/asciiart/>
which uses text to represent grey-scale pictures.
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.