Re: Example canvas element use - accessibility concerns

Le 20 févr. 2009 à 18:09, Rob Sayre a écrit :
> The text above demonstrates a belief that the spec can force people
> to do things. I don't think it can.

The spec can't force people to do things. It encourage people to do
things. Often more likely, validators encourage people to do things.
They even develop more confidence into the validators than the
spec. :) [this from years of participating to W3C validators community]

> I want the spec to accurately reflect reality,

"Not working well at this point in the message…" I think I understand
your goal, but "reality" and "real world" should be banned from all
discussions we have about technologies. These expressions are a smoke
screen to the actual issues and often a flag to promote the idea of
one's group on the line of "My reality is real, not yours." :)

> and that is a goal directly at odds with making rules that will be
> ignored. I hope you can at least understand my position, though you
> may violently disagree.
>
> As for not doing things that are difficult or hard, I can't claim to
> be an expert in accessibility technologies, but I can point to a
> piece of code that I am responsible for

The issue is not around canvas exactly but around the context in which
canvas is used. Canvas is a graphics API. It develops graphics
metaphor of many different kind and accessibility concerns will be
very different depending on the usage context.

Accessibility is often 1) about setting expectations 2) about giving
the possibility to understand the information which is given (I didn't
say "use"). In the case of Geoffrey's example, Canvex, that could be
about informing that it is a game which does such and such.

Though I have to admit in my poetic mind, that there could be a
solution with walls being sounds and you could navigate in between
songs. This come from a funny game I was used to play with friends. Go
in a city with someone you trust, close your eyes or put a scarf on
it, and walk in the city with this friend. Pass the point of being
scared, and listen. You will start to understand the architecture of
the city. You can hear spaces. It is amazing. But enough
digression. :)))

--
Karl Dubost
Montréal, QC, Canada