exposing new roles to platform

From: David Bolter <david.bolter@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 20:46:04 -0500
To: "wai-xtech@w3.org" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
In dealing with web content browsers need to expose roles that do not
have reasonable match/mapping on the desktop. When exposing such roles
in MSAA, Firefox has adopted the technique of returning a string instead
of an enumerated value; which is possible because get_accRole has an
in/out VARIANT type. I think IE exposes such roles in the
get_accDescription.

I'm biased and like the way Firefox does it because it allows AT to
always call get_accRole to discover the role, and leaves
get_accDescription free for such things as aria-describedby etc.

Thoughts?

Note this isn't an issue for more modern desktop API (ATK, IAccessible2,
UIA etc).

cheers,
David