Hadi's Comments on Splitter

________________________________

	From: hadi@GM [mailto:hadi.bargirangin@gmail.com] On Behalf Of
Hadi Rangin
	Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:52 AM
	To: Evans, Donald
	Cc: Jon Gunderson
	Subject: Re: DHTML Styleguide Meeting Tomorrow, Tuesday,
September 30 at 12 noon Eastern.

	Hi Don,

	I have a few problems with the current definition/behavior of
Splitter. Please see my comments inline. Thanks, Hadi

	A Window Splitter can take one of two forms.

	*	Variable Size

		*	Tab Like other widgets, the tab key is used to
move focus to the splitter. It should appear in the normal tab order of
the page. A second tab will move focus to the next tabbable item on the
page.

		#HBR: Do splitter have a name attribute? I hope yes.
They should be unique to avoid any confusion.
	*
		Left and Down Arrow In the case of a vertical splitter
these keys will move the splitter to the left. In the case of a
horizontal splitter, these keys will move the splitter downward.

		*	Right and Up Arrow In the case of a vertical
splitter these keys will move the splitter to the right. In the case of
a horizontal splitter, these keys will move the splitter upward.

		#HBR: The current keyboard behavior does not provide a
clear orientation to screen reader users and the user might not know
what kind of splitter (horzontal/vertical) he is dealing with. I suggest
to assign left/right to resize vertical and up/down to horizontal
splitters.
	*

		*	Home Restore to previous position.
		*	Enter toggles between the Collapsed and Restore
to previous position.
		*	Control + T Optionally brings focus directly to
the splitter. Pressing Control + T again would rotate through additional
splitters located on the page.

	#HBR: Won't application intercept the control+t if it is defined
as a shortcut key within the application? Which splitter would gain the
focus? The next/previous splitter in the tab order?

	*
		F6 is recommended to rotate through the window panes.

	Fixed Size

	*	Tab Like other widgets, the tab key is used to move
focus to the splitter. It should appear in the normal tab order of the
page. A second tab will move focus to the next tabbable item on the
page.
	*	Enter toggles between the Minimized and Maximized state.

	*	End Minimize.

	#HBR: Consider you have 2 vertical splitters and you minimize
the second splitter. This will move the second splitter on top of the
1st splitter. Under this condition how do you operate on the 1st
splitter?

	Home Maximize.