Re: dir=rtl and table header algorithm (was: Re: function and impacts)

2008/9/26 Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com>:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 10:52:27 +0200, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, this is a good idea. HTML 5's proposed smart scope algorithm
>> pretty much does this, except it overlooks dir="rtl".
>

> On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 10:32:08 +0200, Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I guess we need a bigger sample of tables to know what to do for this
>>> particular case. Could this pattern of cells be detected by a script?
>>
>> If the direction could be determined reliably, this could be a great
>> algorithm.
>
> The algorithm is direction agnostic, AIUI. If you set dir="rtl" on a table,
> its rendering is flipped so that the first cell in a row becomes the
> rightmost cell.

I meant the direction of the scope. From what you said, it sounds like
it works correctly because of the orientation of the headers. If
that's resolved, this would be a good algorithm that would negate the
need for most examples that require the headers attribute (apart from
irregular tables). I tested it with dir="ltr", and it does work how it
should.

Gez

--
Supplement your vitamins