Re: function and impacts (was: @scope and @headers reform)

Joshue O Connor 2008-09-23 14.45:

> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>> For the use cases your clients have, would it be necessary to
>> use/recommend headers/id if browsers implemented the Smart Headers
>> algorithm Ben mentioned and reported those associations to AT?
>
> I don't know yet. I am not sure that it is the right solution.

I have partly confused the "Smart headers algorithm" with the
Experiemental algorithm in James Graham's Table Inspector. [1] The
latter can interpret <td><strong> as a header cell. *That* aspect
of the Experimental algorithm is similar the role of @axis in the
HTML 4 algorithm: Both methods let's a TD cell play the role of a
header cell. :-)

[1] http://james.html5.org/tables/table_inspector.html

However, the Smart Algorithm, which can be tested in the Table
inspector as well, does not include whether <td><strong> nor @axis
in its headers fact finding mission.

Section 11.4.2 of HTML 4 contains an Table with the axis
attribute, that I have published. [2] I have also published a
modified version of that table, where I deleted its @headers
attributes, in order to test the pure effect of the @axis
attributes when using the HTML 4 algorithm (which incorporates
both @headers and @axis as part of the algorithm). [3]  Then I ran
the that page in the Table Inspector. [4]

[2] http://www.malform.no/html5/axis-original
[3] http://www.malform.no/html5/axis+
[4] http://tinyurl.com/axis-effect

If you perform that test yourself [4] - please also try the other
algorithms on offer, then you will see that a) for the HTML 4
algorithm, @axis is taken into account, allowing you to include
cells into the algorithm witout marking anything up as headers, b)
it is only the HTML 4 algorithm which can do this. Both the Smart
and the HTML 5 draft algorithm requires that you use TH cells to
achieve the same thing.

(Using the @headers attribute to achieve the same thing, requires
a lot of repetitive @headers attribute - whichever algorithm one
choses. As can be seen in the original table.)

> For the record, if a new authoring method works (i.e is well, supported,
> easy to author/understand etc) I have no problem recommending it. With
> this issue I am very concerned with legacy use but I do concede that if
> a solution is semantically superior at some stage a clear break must be
> made in favour of it.
>
> But this is not a black and white issue, there are many shades of grey.
> For example, support by AT for @scope is practically non-existent.
> Anecdotally, it seems to me that many tables that use @scope just happen
> to coincide in their design to how the screen readers heuristic
> evaluation understands the content pattern, rather than because @scope
> had been used to mark up the content.
>
> So I guess, it doesn't pay to think in terms of absolutes.

The algorithm of HTML 4 comes in 2 parts: A *primitive algorithm*,
which only takes place when the start-point cell has the headers
attribute. And a *full algorithm,* which takes place when it
doesn't have the @headers attribute. (Both, however, are really
the same algorithm.)

I suppose that AT support for the *full* HTML 4 algorithm is also
not quite there? (Though, any AT software which incorporates the
@axis cells in my HTML 4 based example (see [4] above) proves that
they at least are close to support it.)

However, even if support for the full HTML 4 algorithm should not
be any better than support for the HTML 4 scope attribute,  the
question still is what would work best?

Either, getting AT software to extend their @headers support to
support for the full HTML 4 algorithm (which incorporates the
@headers attribute, when present)?

Or, to ask that AT software take care *never* implements anything
*but* the primitive @headers algorithm and instead implement
support for the @scope attribute.

The @headers-incorporating HTML 4 algorithm at least has one thing
going for itself: It is much easier to grasp than the Smart
Algorithm. (But that is not to say that the HTML 4 could not be
smartened up.)

PS: I can only thank James for having made such a decent and
honest Table Inspector!
--
leif halvard silli