Re: control flow in tab collections, for example when changing tabs

Hi Jon;

Inline, see the EJ's.

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Jon Gunderson <jongund@illinois.edu> wrote:

> Al had asked about keyboard focus in tab panels.
>
> http://test.cita.uiuc.edu/aria/tabpanel/tabpanel1.php
>
> A couple issues:
>
> 1. Typically focus is on a control in the tabpanel and the relationship for
> the TABPANEL that is visible and the TAB is the use of the "aria-labelledby"
> attribute.  The browser can calculate which TAB is associated with the form
> control with focus on the TABPANEL.
>
> 2. In my example when a form control has been selected in a panel, the
> panel remembers this control so if the user uses control+PageUp or
> Control+PageDown the focus returns to the last focused control in the
> TABPANEL.
>

> But this is not the behavior of Microsoft Windows, Windows seems to always
> to move keyboard focus to the first control in each TABPANEL, so focus is
> never really on the TAB items.

EJ    This occurs when the TABPANEL contains text also so more generically,
input focus always lands in the TABPANEL -except- when the the tab has input
focus. The styleguide doesn't appear to handle the later situation yet.

> So the best practices document is not in line with either of these models.

EJ   Agreed. The style guide [best practices doc?] should explicitly state
where input focus goes when a TAB is first visited. The same should hold
true on subsequent visits, if TABPANEL component is expected to place focus
on the last form element that had input focus.

        Something else missing for TABPANEL is how to get input focus from
the TABPANEL to the TAB and vice versa. Cntrl+up/down does this in Windows.
Right now there appears to be no way to give focus to the TAB so the result
is the arrow keys always work as expected [e.g. it likely fails if input
focus in a TABPANEL is on a text area or field]

--
Earl
http://www.linkedin.com/in/earljohnson1