Re: Is longdesc a good solution?

Laura Carlson wrote:
> Hi Lachlan,
>
>> until we have objective
>> evidence to verify his claims, all we have is speculation and
>> hypotheses; and speculation about usability problems is not a reason to
>> avoid doing a usability study that would verify that.
>
> - Quantitative research often "forces" responses or people into
> categories that might not "fit" in order to make meaning.
> - Qualitative research, on the other hand, sometimes focuses too
> closely on individual results and fails to make connections to larger
> situations or possible causes of the results.
>
> Research and data would be interesting to have, but what would it
> prove?
[snip - more excuses to avoid doing real work]

I've had enough of this.  I tried to put together a solid proposal that
would help you gather solid, research based evidence of the kind that
Hixie has been asking for.  Yet, the majority of the responses so far
have been nothing but bogus excuses for why we shouldn't do it, ranging
from problems with current UAs (which I tried to eliminate from the
study), usability problems (which, ironically, the study set out to
test), questions about what it would prove (even though I clearly
outlined that already), and now your objections seemingly against the
scientific method itself.

Well, I give up.  If someone wants to do the study, go ahead.  If not,
fine.  It's your loss, not mine.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/