Re: GWT accordion example

All the examples posted recently make me lean toward the adoption of single
or multiselect tabpanel. You could have the toolbar even have a button for
main content, search, navigation, etc. Pressing the button could expand
that region and move you there - much like skip to main content. Both
tabpanel and multiselect are in ARIA today as is toolbar. From a screen
reader perspective we could say toolbar multiselectable or accordion. The
constructs we have.

I took another look at the Sun accordion example:
http://webdev2.sun.com/example/faces/accordion/a11yAccordion.jsp. To me
this again is a toolbar which is responsible for controlling the
multiselectable tabpanel.

I can envision an entire web page with this configuration. The toolbar
would be kind of like a dashboard for the controlling the expand and
collapse of all the sections. Each section could be expandable and
collapsible. By switching to single select (typical tab panel) you could
open one while closing another.

The GWT example should behave like the Dojo tabpanel (single select).

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

             Jon Gunderson
             <jongund@illinois
             .edu>                                                      To
             Sent by:                  Joseph Scheuhammer
             wai-xtech-request         <clown@utoronto.ca>
             @w3.org                                                    cc
                                       David Bolter
                                       <david.bolter@utoronto.ca>, Aaron M
             10/30/2008 03:20          Leventhal/Cambridge/IBM@IBMUS,
             PM                        w3c-wai-pf@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: GWT accordion example

Buttons should have labels that describe what they do and ARIA has
mechanism for doing this.  So if there is a sequence of buttons the button
labeling can orient the users to the sequence.

One of the major problem that I have with the accordion role is that all
the keyboard models seem very complex and there is no general consensus on
what the keyboard model should be.  I am worried that these model(s) may be
more confusing than helpful to users.  I also don't want to ask developers
to create complex keyboard models that turn out not to be useful to people
with disabilities.

Jon