Re: ACTION Item: Rich review Accordon

Hi;

Inline.

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 8:51 AM, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>wrote:

> A lot of great work by the style guide team!
>
> I am reading the accordion style guide and have a number of questions.
> Initial impression is it is too complicated, largely due to the pop-up menu
> piece and inconsistencies with tabpanel:

EJ  The one most benefiting of simplification is Tab navigation. Since you
observe, in what ways might you simplify the complexities that aren't
covered below?

>    - Why does an accordion have to have a menu? This sounds like an
>    additional feature. Anything can have a context menu so why must this be
>    specific to an accordion. Shouldn't shift+F10 be the same for all pop-up
>    context menus?
>
> EJ  It doesn't have to.be; the style guide spec included it to give
guidance on what to do if it was included. I assume you mention shift+F10
because of control+F10. Shift+F10 should be what was recommended instead.
   Donald: Would you change Control+F10 to Shift+F10 to ffix my mistake,
this keeps coming up.?

>    -
>    - Why does tabpanel not support space or enter to open the panel? James
>    Craig said you wanted the behavior closer to tabpanel yet you have an
>    inconsistency.
>
> EJ   It does. Here's the excerpt.

   - *Enter/Space*
      - Toggles the accordion  Content open [or close] when Input Focus is
      on its accordion tab Label

>    -
>    - Why does accordion not support alt+del like tabpanel?
>
> EJ   The accordion example I was defining keynav for [below] didn't call
for the function in its spec and our styleguide review didn't catch it was
missing. I'm curious tho, what use applications would an accordion widget
with deletable panes be used for?

>    -
>    - What are the interactive glyphs on the tab header? Why could these
>    not be placed on a pop-up context menu. Seems like it complicates the UI. We
>    had a similar discussion with the IBM mashup team.
>
> EJ   The spec I defined keynav for used glyphs whose functions are akin to
the window manager's Minimize, Maximize, Close glyphs. Glyphs or Popup are
each legitemate UI design choices.

>    -
>    - Do you have a link to an example we can see on the Monday ARIA call?
>
> EJ   See  http://webdev2.sun.com/example/faces/accordion/a11yAccordion.jsp

      It set the wairole as a tablist. Keynav is a bit quirky for me at
times.

Ear;l

--
Earl