Re: Correctly mapping role="search"

T.V Raman wrote:
> In general all landmark roles should be allowed to appear
> multiple times. Unclear that we can even insist uniqueness for
> role=main --- especially given that content tends to get
> aggregated --- so something that started off as role=main on a
> Web site  when used in a gadget is unlikely to be the one and
> only role=main on the containing page.

I think if more than one role="main" is allowed, there needs to be a
mandatory algorithm for determining to what ancestor the landmarked
region stands in a "main" relationship.

Just for example:

1. First try to assign the relationship to the first ancestor with
role="application" or role="document" (or native equivalents).

2. If no such ancestor exist, assign to the root element.

3. If the found ancestor already has an assigned element with
role="main" (or native equivalent), flag this second role="main" as an
error.

With this algorithm in place, you could create a user interface for
users to move to the main area of their current context, rather than
just the next main area in the page.

In your gadget example, the gadget's role="main" would be defined as
relative to the role="application" enclosing the gadget.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis