Re: ARIA as stop-gap (was Re: Next steps for the ARIA syntax discussion)

On Fri, 30 May 2008 17:16:24 +0200, Elliotte Harold
<elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> I don't really see why only this is plausible. class, style, and id
>> work in HTML, SVG, and MathML. Why can't the same go for ARIA?
>
> Sure, if you place the same attributes into each one of those specs, and
> update all three specs to support ARIA.
>
> Of course, the effort in doing this is (and consequent inconsistencies)
> is exactly why we modularize things.

Those specifications need to define the semantic clashes with ARIA anyway
(or the ARIA specification would need to define it for all three). Apart
 from defining the interactions, it could be something simple:

   Attributes starting with "aria-" are allowed on any element as
   long as they are defined by the ARIA specification. User agents
   must interpret attributes starting with "aria-" as defined by
   the ARIA specification unless specified otherwise. [ARIA]

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>