Re: [html4all] HTML5 Alternative Text, and Authoring Tools

At 21:31 14/05/2008, Henri Sivonen wrote:

>On May 14, 2008, at 21:02, Matt Morgan-May wrote:
>>(...)
>>Bogus alt text is covered under WCAG, anyway.
>
>I'm having trouble finding the right part of WCAG.

Easy: in success criterion 1.1.1 of WCAG 2.0:
"All non-text content that is presented to the user has a text
alternative that serves the equivalent purpose, except for the
situations listed below."
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/CR-WCAG20-20080430/#text-equiv-all>
Bogus alt does not meet this criterion.

Via "Understanding Success Criterion 1.1.1"
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20-20080430/text-equiv-all.html>
one can also find Failure F30: "Failure of Success Criterion 1.1.1
and 1.2.1 due to using text alternatives that are not alternatives
(e.g. filenames or placeholder text)"
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-WCAG20-TECHS-20080430/F30.html>, which
covers a very common type of bogus alt.

"Bogus alt" wouldn't constitute an "equivalent" according to WCAG 1.0.

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe

---
I haven't.