Re: [html4all] HTML5 Alternative Text, and Authoring Tools

On May 14, 2008, at 23:33, Gez Lemon wrote:

>> I would hope detecting what strings take very long to speak or that
>> don't
>> appear to contain words from a dictionary is something that AT
>> vendors
>> wouldn't need external advice on.
>
> That isn't how screen readers work. Screen readers work by converting
> text into phonemes that they can then synthesise and output to the
> user. This approach is obviously a lot quicker and more flexible than
> containing a static list of dictionary entries.

Whether the speech synthesis is dictionary based is not the point. The
point is, can a screen reader reasonable have *a* dictionary for its
speech language. In many cases, the platform provides spell checking,
so a screen reader could test if a string spell checks successfully to
make a guess if speaking it will be any good.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi