Re: [html4all] HTML5 Alternative Text, and Authoring Tools

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 12:21:52 +0200
To: W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>

At 15:01 2/05/2008, Smylers wrote:
>(...)
>However, for all sites which are currently valid HTML 4 -- that is, they
>provide genuine alt text -- the requirements are exactly the same in
>HTML 5; that alt text is still mandatory.  There is no option for the
>author to omit it.

There is a loophole in the requirements. The spec says:
"When it is possible for alternative text to be provided, (...), text
that conveys can serve as a substitute for the image must be given as
the contents of the alt attribute."

"When it is possible" is too subjective and I doubt that it meets W3C
QA guidelines, as I explained at
<http://juicystudio.com/article/html5-alt-text-authoring-tools.php#comment29>.

Best regards,

Christophe