Re: some reflections on @alt usage

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:21:30 +0100
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>, W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>

Steve F said:
>> This goes some way to resolving the issue of "no alt being available"
>> as even in systems where the alt cannot be provided or is not
>> provided, the design of the system can and I would suggest most always
>> does incoporate relationships between text that is related to the
>> image. As predefined markup containers for different types or related
>> information are commonplace.
>> example include:
>> titles
>> descriptions
>> captions
>> comments,
>> notes
>> really any metadata.
>>
>> If such distinctions between ,text alternative, description, label etc
>> are provided within the markup language (as they are or could be) it
>> would be easy enough for the AT to provide options to the user on how
>> they want the content announced in relation to an image.
>>
>> This means that the important requirement that *some* textual content
>> that is relevant to an image is programmatically associated with the
>> image, even when the most desirable, a "text alternative" value
>> provided using alt attribute is unavailable.

Sorry, I meant to reply to this post earlier.

I guess the examples given could be seen as conforming as you are
suggesting using different methods to describe relationships between
content, about content etc. This idea brings the discussion beyond the
area of there being no @alt, no possible @alt for whatever reason etc,
and therefore being invalid, as you are describing content using a
different mechanism (aria-described by etc) and that should therefore be
considered conforming, as it is trying to achieve the same thing.

Cheers

Josh