Re: [DHTML Style Guide] auto-complete widget proposal

Maybe this is implementation detail but should we qualify that the list
of matching items (results) must be reasonably limited? If the list is
allowed to grow to unbounded sizes, arrow navigation through the list
will range from cumbersome to unusable. For example, if I type A and I'm
in an autocomplete Google search box, the results list could be nearly
infinite. I suspect there is some correlation between typical input
length and auto-complete list length. If my typical input is 10
characters then I'm probably willing to arrow down about 5 times before
it doesn't become worth my while. For longer, more complex or harder to
remember values the utility of auto-complete increases so I'd be willing
to arrow down more. I would be far more interested in wading through a
list of long email addresses to find one than to enter a search query
for 'dogs' by typing d and doing a down arrow through a list.

CB