From: wai-xtech-request@w3.org [mailto:wai-xtech-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Gregory J. Rosmaita
Sent: Mittwoch, 18. Juni 2008 10:11
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org; wai-xtech@w3.org
Subject: IFRAME Accessibility Inquiry

what is the current state of accessibility of IFRAME?  what are
the outstanding accessibility problems inherit to IFRAME, or
have they been mitigated?

if, for example, one has a document embedded in an IFRAME which
has access keys defined for it, will the embedded document's UI
controls take precedence when the focus is in the IFRAME?  what
about conflicts between embedded UI controls and UI controls in
host documents?  what if a tabindex value has been defined for
the IFRAME, and the document in the IFRAME has its own tabindex
order?

the basic question is: how do the 2 documents interact and what
can we do to standardize this interaction?  can we harmonize
our efforts with OpenAjax's support for iFrames?

so, what are the problems with IFRAME today?  here is a very
rough thumbnail:

1. tension between global and scopeable UI controls (accesskey,
   tabindex, etc.)

2. horizontal and vertical scrolling impose an undue burden for
   several user groups;

3. one can't resize an IFRAME; one can only use the UA's scaling
   mechanism, which is crude/gross at best;

4. ARIA will help with IFRAME accessibility, yes, but what is still
   lacking in non-ARIA enabled technology, to support IFRAME
   accessibly?