Re: [html4all] ALT issue redux

Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> It is backwards compatible because valid XHTML1 will always also be
> valid HTML5.

Probably worth adding: only in the case of IMG/@alt, all other things
being equal (which of course they aren't).

And possibly: unless I'm misunderstanding the idea of
backwards-compatibility. Is it "HTML5 browsers will be able to make
sense of XHTML1/HTML4 documents" (my understanding) or "XHTML1/HTML4
browsers will be able to work with HTML5 documents"? Even if it's the
latter, the fact that browsers don't throw an error when an XHTML1 image
is missing the mandatory @alt could be explained as backwards compatible
by the WG.

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com