OpenSocial, ARIA and accessibility

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 17:12:42 -0800
To: wai-xtech@w3.org
Cc: Kevin Marks <kevinmarks@google.com>, jeremy@adactio.com

Hi folks

Has anyone here taken a look at the accessibility of OpenSocial [1];
it's a platform from Google and their friends for portable social apps
(widgets/gadgets) that can be embedded in 'container' Websites,
typically "social network" sites.

The specs make fairly heavy use of Javascript, and are naturally quite
complex to navigate since a page typically contains a number of embedded
applications. I believe iframes may sometimes be used to wrap each
app/widget, though Caja (secured javascript) also has some role. Perhaps
Kevin (cc:'d) can elaborate; I'm not sure quite where the specs stop,
and the leading opensource implementation (Apache Shindig, see [3]).

I have some dim awareness of the ARIA work [2] on Ajax etc
accessibility, but no knowledge of details. My guess is that we could
have useful discussions both about the accessibility of the Opensocial
container standard, the Apache shindig implementation, and in addition,
accessibility techniques for individual widgets. But I'm out of my depth
already, so will end here. It would be nice if OpenSocial could get some
accessibility review before things get too settled. At the moment it
seems that the effort is still moving fast and has some flexibility...

Thanks for any thought,

cheers,

Dan

[1] http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/