Re: ARIA: Why is role="marquee" necessary? We already have role="log"

From: Aaron M Leventhal <aleventh@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 09:16:39 +0100
To: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Cc: WAI XTech <wai-xtech@w3.org>, wai-xtech-request@w3.org
role="marquee" is not like log, because in a marquee changes tend to be
fast and constant. Typically you don't want to hear all the items as they
scroll by in a marquee, because of the constant chatter that would entail.
Therefore the default aria-live value for marquee is "off". Similar for
role="timer" -- that's off by default as well.

The concept is that where we can think of a very typical live region use
case, ARIA provides a role. This is a higher level semantic and is easier
for authors to know they're doing the right thing. They might not be sure
whether a marquee/timer/log/status should be polite or off, but they can
probably figure out that something is one of those objects.

- Aaron