RE: AT support for role="application"

You're talking of Jaws 10 public beta?

- Stefan

From: wai-xtech-request@w3.org [mailto:wai-xtech-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Aaron M Leventhal
Sent: Mittwoch, 27. August 2008 12:01
To: Srinivas Annam
Cc: dev-accessibility@lists.mozilla.org; wai-xtech@w3.org;
wai-xtech-request@w3.org
Subject: Re: AT support for role="application"

Hi Sri,

FWIW JAWS supports role="application" now, but I don't know of a public
document where the behavior is described.

We'll have to follow up with them on that.

- Aaron

Srinivas Annam <annams@google.com>

wai-xtech@w3.org, dev-accessibility@lists.mozilla.org

07/16/2008 07:47 AM

AT support for role="application"

________________________________

Hi all,

I am trying to understand the functionality of application role and what
the current support of AT is for the same. From the w3 description (at
http://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria/#application) once role="application" is
specified AT would set the user into non-browse mode and pass arrow and
other key strokes straight to the the application so the application can
support keyboard functionality.

To verify the behavior I tried the spreadsheet example
<http://www.mozilla.org/access/dhtml/spreadsheet>  (from mozilla.org
<http://mozilla.org/> ) using FF3 and Window Eyes 6.1. While WE 6.1
recognized the application mode and announced "Browse Off" as soon as
the page has been rendered, it continued to stay in browse mode until an
explicit focus change occurred to one of the elements on the body. Is
this the expected behavior of an AT for role="application"? The behavior
certainly makes sense to me, but what threw me off is the fact "Browse
Off" has been announced but I continued to be in browse mode initially.
Once I understood, what it is doing I actually like the resulting user
experience, but want to make that this is the expected behavior.

Also, has anyone tried a combination of application role and document
role on the same page. Any good examples out there that I could play
with? What about other AT, anyone know if JAWS and all has any support
for this or planning to add?

Thanks,
Srinivas

--