Re: some reflections on @alt usage

On 21 Aug 2008, at 4:37 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> Indeed; I didn't mean it in any way as a slight towards you, merely a
> reminder that we have to base our decisions on the actual results of
> research rather than our opinions.

In the case of accessibility requirements, that oft-repeated 'have to'
is overkill.  It is a counter-productive over-reaching demand.

I understand it is your personal preference, but in terms of what
HTML WG
expects from the WAI it is unacceptable.

People with disabilities are a sparse enough population so that you have
to forget everything you learned in statistics class and re-invent
Bayesian inference with significant weight given to the input from
individual consumers and particularly the trainers and rehabilitation
engineers that work with a range of consumers and can offer some
synthesis of a model of ergonomics for human-computer interaction.

The WAI has been working on this for a long time.  Listen up.

Al