Re: [html4all] some reflections on @alt usage (and even sometimes @aria-labelledby...)

Gez Lemon wrote:
> aria-labelledby could be considered a good alternative to HTML's label
> element. It's not as useful for providing alternative text for images,
> as inline images aren't really suited to the labelling design pattern.
> There may be edge cases where the labelling design pattern is more
> suitable as a concise alternative for an inline image, in the same way
> that there are cases where a text attribute is more suitable than a
> label.

Indeed. One very interesting thing that is coming more into focus for me
in these discussions is that there will be many ways to essentially do
the same things. Whether it is define relationships between web content
-dynamic or static - create widgets etc, the semantic toolkit is
expanding and to some degree, tending towards greater complexity. The
bigger discussion could therefore be more along the lines of making sure
all of the potential for variegated authoring styles and methods are in
harmony, rather than whether we can or cannot do certain things.

Cheers

Josh