Re: [html4all] some reflections on @alt usage

From: Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:15:09 +0100
To: HTML4All <list@html4all.org>
Cc: "W3C WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>

2008/4/28 Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>:
>  It should be noted that some of the suggestions outlined by John and
>  myself were previously raised by Al and discussed on a thread back in
>  February [1]:
>
>  [1] what's machinable [was: Re: ALT issue redux]
>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2008Feb/0006.html
>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2008Feb/0008.html

Just to add to my position on using aria-describedby and
aria-labelledby in response to Al's original message. I think
aria-describedby could be considered an appropriate alternative to
longdesc when the description exists in the same page, but obviously
not when the description is in another document. I can also see there
may be some edge-cases when aria-labelledby may be considered a
suitable replacement for alt. These are edge-cases, as ARIA was
designed to bridge the accessibility gaps with the current structure
we have. Providing alt text for images wasn't one of those gaps, as
there is already a suitable attribute.

Cheers,

Gez

--