Re: On HTML5 conformance and conformance checking

On Apr 14, 2008, at 17:43, Steven Faulkner wrote:
> So while the web may one day contain many documents that get the HTML5
> conformance checker "stamp of approval" It will actually be littered
> with non conforming HTML5 documents..

Assuming that a conformance checker issue stamps of approval emerges.

However, regardless alt, there are many other reasons why passing
machine-checkable conformance criteria does not imply that the non-
machine-checkable conformance criteria was passed as well.

For example, HTML 5 seeks to make layout tables non-conforming, which
I think it is an exercise in futility. Anyway, it isn't machine-
checkable. (WCAG 2.0 allows layout tables and ARIA even caters to
them, by the way. Both pragmatic choices.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi