omitting alt: closing an open issue with a bound action item in progress

From: Laura Carlson <laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 22:28:09 -0500
To: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, "Al Gilman" <alfred.s.gilman@ieee.org>
Cc: "Steve Faulkner" <sfaulkner@paciellogroup.com>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, wai-xtech@w3.org, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

How can an HTMLWG open issue be closed if it already has an action
item is bound to it and that action item is in progress?

The history:

On October 23, 2007 several members of the HTMLWG requested that PFWG
review Omitting alt Attribute for Critical Content [1].

On February 6, 2008 PFWG issued and official response [2] resulting in
issue 31 [3]

On February 21, 2008 at the HTML WG weekly Teleconference [4] Dan
issued action item 54, for "Gregory Rosmaita to work with SteveF to
draft text for HTML 5 spec to require producers/authors to include
@alt on img elements" [5].

I attended the HTMLWG teleconference tonight. It was a small group,
just Mike Smith, Anne van Kesteren, and me. Mike extended the alt
action item due date to April 17 [6] since we haven't heard back from
PFWG on Steve's request about normative language [7].

Few minutes later, ISSUE-31 (Omitting alt Attribute) was closed by the
editor [8]. But the associated action item 54 was not closed [5].

Just minutes after that, Dan sent a message to html-public that said:
"I'm inclined to let 'open' mean we have a clear plan or next step for
working on it, vs 'raised"' which means it's probably an issue but
nobody has volunteered to address it or move it forward." [9]

So I ask, how can issue 31 be closed if it already has an action item
54 bound to it and that action item is in progress and has volunteers?

Best Regards,
Laura

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2007Oct/0044.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Feb/0082.html