Re: Discussing ARIA in HTML5 integration

It should also be noted just because HTML5 is being developed  and implemented it does not mean all developers will use it.  If people use HTML5 and it supports accessibility those resources will not need to use ARIA (Hurrah for those developers!).  Other developers for various reasons will choose not to use HTML5 technologies and will need to use ARIA to make their resources more accessible.

HTML5 and ARIA in general not competing technologies, but complementary and where they do overlap there should be consistency and harmonization.

In my opinion the goal of the WAI groups is to work with the HTML5 working group to include accessibility features in HTML5 meet or exceed the accessibility features that can be achieved  with HTML4 and the emerging ARIA technologies.

Jon