Re: Investigating the proposed alt attribute recommendations in HTML 5

On Sep 15, 2007, at 5:20 AM, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Charles McCathieNevile (13 sept. 2007 - 14:24) :
>>> As I understand it, the whole point of keeping mentioning Flickr
>>> is that from the point of view of Web development in general, it
>>> isn't odd but a showcase Web 2.0 app.
>>
>> I don't think that's relevant, Flickr is mentioned because unlike
>> most images, the image is central to the meaning of a flickr page.
>> There are plenty on Web 1.0 tools that do the same thing - and the
>> same issues apply.
>
> The only way to address this without having to mention Flickr all
> the time is to compare the output of different softwares and
> services. Having the ouput of these software would help to
> understand how we can improve the language and how we could try to
> get the developers team of these applications to check the
> specification.
> (Plus the fact that they may have specific needs for producing
> better output. HTML is th sum of the needs of implementers.)
>
> Software with Web Photo Album feature.
>
> * Apple iPhoto
> * Apple iWeb
> * Apple Aperture

Apple's .Mac service also has a photo gallery feature that can be used
without any special native client software.

> * Adobe Photoshop CS2
> * Adobe Lightroom
> * iView MediaPro (became recently MS Expression Media)
> * Picasa
> * Flickr
> * Freshmeat gives also a zillion of references of Photo Album
> software.
>  http://freshmeat.net/

Other web-based photo albums include snapfish, smugmug and shutterfly.
Most "social network" type sites such as myspace and facebook also
feature photo galleries. deviantart also provides image galleries but
focuses on artwork rather than photos.

Regards,
Maciej