From: wai-xtech-request@w3.org [mailto:wai-xtech-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Becky Gibson
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:52 PM
To: wai-xtech@w3.org
Subject: [STYLE GUIDE] keyboard resizing of split containers

My definition of a split container is a section of the Web page which is
split into two or more sections either horizontally or vertically.  Split
containers can be nested to create both vertical and horizontal sections.
A common implementation is for mail programs which usually provide a tree
of folders on the left hand side of the page and on the right hand side of
the page split into two sections stacked one above the other - one with a
listing of the documents in the folder and another to preview the contents
of the selected document.  Most applications provide a grab point on the
border of the pane to resize the section using the mouse.

Is a keyboard mechanism to resize a split container required to meet
accessibility guidelines?  I am assuming yes since unless there are scroll
bars some content might not be visible without resizing.

I have some ideas for resizing with the keyboard.

1) Assign some key that when pressed when focus is within the section,
will move focus to the grab point.  The user then modifies the size of the
container using the mouse keys. This isn't particularly useful for screen
reader users but I am hoping that they don't have to deal with the sizing
problems because the screen reader will read all of the content even if it
is clipped?
2) Assign some key that when pressed when focus is within the section,
will open a context menu with options for making smaller/larger by 10%,
25%, 50%.
3) Shift-F10 from within the section will invoke a context menu with
options for making the section smaller/larger by 10%, 25%, 50%,  If an
application context menu for this section of the Web application already
exists, the resize items would be appended to it.   This has the drawback
that it is harder to implement, and will override the browsers context
menu if there is no Web application defined context menu.  This could
create a scenario where the user can not invoke the browsers context menu
because the entire page is made up of re-sizable sections.  Of course that
could also happen with any application defined context menu as well - but
overriding the browser context menu just for resizing sections seems a bit
harsh.

I prefer option 1, although it has the disadvantage of a "special" key
sequence that people will have to learn through discovery or good
documentation.  But I also need screen reader user feedback to make sure
this is sufficient.

thoughts?

Becky Gibson
Web Accessibility Architect