Re: @title's relation to accessibility

2007-09-06 18:00:41 +0200 Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl>:
> At 16:06 +0200 UTC, on 2007-09-06, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>> 2007-09-06 14:25:30 +0200 Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl>:
>>> At 18:36 +0200 UTC, on 2007-09-04, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

>>> I don't know. I understand your intention, but... [...]
>>
>> You prefer words of latin decent  [...]

> Do you mean that the term "advisory information" doesn't translate well to
> other languages? Surely this is a pretty universal concept?

Advisory sounds ambigious - or «big». (But ok, it is 'computer speak')

> For <a> and <link>, "information to help the user decide" would be a good
> synonym I suppose. But not so for <abbr> or even <p> [...]

While «tells about» would work here too.

[...  - decide a @ALT text limit ... ]

Ok - I had in mind something more spesific than just «short» - because my focus was on at which lenght a text becomes so long that you might want to read a @TITLE before actually starting to read it.

And when too long, the author tool proposes to use @longdesc? This proposal is actually linked to the _visual_ problems with @ALT text. Aural UAs should not have that limit. And I don't think you link this to @TITLE at all? You just want to help users to not write too long @ALT texts.  Hence, I don't know if I support this. An @alt text should be as long as it requires. We should not author to one particular user group (people with graphical legacy UAs with limits on the @ALT text).

May be. But @title could be useful e.g. when hovering over the video  - also.

When do you need a tag on something? Before or after you have looked at the goods? Either - or, the tag is useful. (The aural UA should of course be able to jump directly from the @TITLE and behind/past the ALT-text, should the content not interest the user.)

I just examplified how an aural UA could make use of the @TITLE.  Which was necessary to explain the actual or possible AT-relatedness of @TITLE..

>> It would then be up to that AT UA to decide what is a long and what is a
>> short @ALT - or <ALT> - based on the language the the AT technology is
>> localized for - and support. (@LANG, please help!)
>
> I'm not sure I understand what the UAs language has to do with this.

You said: «A problem is how to define the limit. (characters, words, bytes?)». Then I replied that «lenght» should take @LANG into consideration. The UA language is only related because document language and UA language is often related - especially since @LANG is often lacking.

[  what is it with Jaws? ]

(I thought JAWS's problem was that it by default tried to read the URL - when @ALT was lacking. While I tried to mention a good behaviour when @ALT is there ...)

[ who can do any useful with long @ALT? ]
> Only Firefox (2) and lynx/links do anything useful [...]
>
> So I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with long textual equivalents

OK - I thought by 'useful' you meant in the sense «a good text to read».

Isn't it a good advice that @TITLE in a link can contain the <TITLE> of that page it links to - if the links go directly to that page - and not a reference inside that page - and if, of course, that page has a telling <TITLE>? (I was quoting the <TITLE> of the Opera homepage - which btw, doesn't user @TITLE in its links.)

[ @londesc and Flickr ]

@LONGDESC="URL" => that image's description - wherever it is located..

> would actually be practical for aural or braille access though.

It would be up to Flickr.

> But authors can already use <link rel=alternate> for
> this. They'd be free to provide both that and individual textual equivalents.
> Thus allowing the user to pick whatever suits him best.

<link rel=alternate> => a good advice for Flickr.

Flickr must decide how to do it the best way for this usergroup. Given how difficult is seems to be «good guy» when it comes to @ALT, then why not use @LONGDESC in one of these ways? It would also create a focus on good descriptions from those that have user accounts on Flickr.

Btw, your thoughts on how @longdesc can be used in photoalbums, are they different from mine?

> I suppose a UA would be free to implement such a 'data gathering' feature
> though. No need to have the spec require or disallow it.

I don't follow. I have not proposed any 'data gathering'.
--
leif halvard silli