Re: Keyboard navigation and IFrame usage in mashups

Hi Rich,

On 19/06/07, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:
> One of the areas we need to look at is IFrames. User agents will need to
> find ways to make IFrame mashups usable. We will increasingly see IFrames
> used to isolate contents (in support of security) by using IFrames. IFrames
> are typically treated as separate documents. This discussion impact authors
> and people working on the style guide.
>
> http://ajaxian.com/archives/subspace-enabling-trusted-cross-domain-ajax

Wouldn't it be better to encourage authors to use the object element,
and encourage user agent vendors to treat data for the object element
as a separate document (for example, raising a navigate event when
data is replaced, so that it's reported correctly to an accessibility
API)? The IFrame element isn't included in HTML 4.01 Strict or XHTML
1.0 Strict, whereas the object element is. The object element would be
perfect for the job with better user agent support, without requiring
existing and future specifications to be fractured to compensate for
poor user agents.

Best regards,

Gez

--