Re: ]RE: Relative Units for Font Size Scaling W3C requirement replaced by zoom techniques in new Browsers?

On Wed, 23 May 2007 17:43:29 +0200, Loretta Guarino Reid
<lorettaguarino@google.com> wrote:

> On 5/23/07, Schnabel, Stefan <stefan.schnabel@sap.com> wrote:

>> Advantage for Zoom is that it does enlarge images proportionally also.

Indeed.

>> Questions now:
>>
>> a) is Greggs Level AA rating when using zoom correct? Is that sufficient
>> success criteria for W3C regarding font scaling?
>
> Whether such browser functionality can be used to satisfy this AA
> success criterion depends upon which browsers are used by the target
> audience. If only IE7 supports zoom and your users are not using IE7,
> you need to use other techniques such as scalable fonts.

In fact IE7 is one of the last browsers to do zoom - only about a decade
after it started appearing in browsers. On the other hand, I only know of
a couple of mobile browsers that provide zoom, and I suspect it is still
an issue for now.

>> b) will the sections that reccommend to use em units be modified to
>> reflect new zooming techniques in browsers?
>
> No,  using scalable fonts is still a sufficient technique to satisfy
> this success criterion.
>
>> b) is horizontal scrolling when using zoom a no-go for accessibility or
>> is it more a usability issue and a consequecne of AA classification?
>
> It is an accessibility issue, which is why it is included in WCAG.
> However, there is some content for which it will not be possible to
> scale the content in a way that doesn't require horizontal scaling
> (e.g. large complex data tables).

Well, using a table transformation tool it is possible to avoid it, but
people don't generally do that :( On the other hand using something like
fit-to-width in combination with zoom wil deal with some of the issue - by
breaking anything that you used to try and force your site to maintain a
particular layout. Adaptive layout is still an important technique for
users, so building a layout that can handle being adapted is a pretty good
idea.

cheers

chaals

chaals@opera.com  Catch up: Speed Dial  http://opera.com