From: Lisa Pappas
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2007 1:23 PM
To: 'DHTML Accessibility'
Subject: DHTML Style Guide Minutes - 070713

DHTML Call
Attendees:
Al Gilman
Tom Wlodkowski
Earl ??
Lisa Pappas
Jon Gunderson
Chris Blouch

Topic for Discussion: Menu Widgets

Navigation Within Menu Widget
Tab - Moves focus to the menu widget, setting focus on the first menu. Next Tab key press moves focus beyond the menu widget (to the next focusable interface element)
Enter or Down Arrow - When a menu has focus but is not posted, posts the menu with focus, setting focus on the first menu item.
Down arrow / Up Arrow -  Moves focus vertically within the posted menu.
Escape - Dismisses the menu without taking any action, returning focus to the menu.
Right/Left Arrow - With menu posted, moves focus to the next/previous menu, posting it, and setting focus on the first menu item.
Spacebar - Opens an actionable item within a menu

Remaining Menu Issues:
Does the current markup provide support to script writers and AT vendors for multi-level menu detection and exposure and for pop-up / standalone / tear-off menus? Is the HasPopUp attribute sufficiently robust or is a submenu role needed?

Action:
Write up to PF group. Query whether ARIA HasPopup property is detectable by screen reader for a submenu.
Provide additioanl use cases and examples as needed for menus, multi-level and pop-up.

#  #  #

With the caveat that I am hard of hearing, and gratefully accept additions and editions, I submit these summary minutes of our meeting today.

Regards,

Lisa
Lisa Pappas
accessibility analyst - lisa.pappas@sas.com - 919.531.0980