Re: reCAPTCHA: AOL's CAPTCHA

- the visual CAPTCHA is very insecure. It's easy to segment and
minimal distortion has been applied to the letters. Amatuer projects have
broken similar CAPTCHAs pretty easily. With audio its harder to tell where
the security stands.

- After refreshing a few times (but not signing up) you get the message:

Thank you for your interest in obtaining a screen name to use this
service.
At this time, we are unable to register you for this service. We regret
any inconvenience.

This is annoying for those trying to sample lots of CAPTCHAs :-).

- The visual CAPTCHA has an unnecessarially low contrast between the
forground and the background. It'd be easier for visual users if the
background was unchanging. This does not reduce the security any (however,
there's not much there in the visual one...)

- The labeling is confusing "can't see the image" and "can't hear the
audio" arent' the right labels.

- I had a bit of trouble with the audio captcha on ubuntu. I need to test
this out a bit more, but can't because I can't look at the signup page any
more.