Re: [note: two-level nav in WAI-ARIA] [was: Re: reCAPTCHA implementation problems]

At 1:45 PM -0400 17 07 2007, Chris Blouch wrote:
>With a few exceptions the accessible widget models seem to follow a
>pattern where you tab to the widget, use other keys to navigate
>within the widget (arrows, space etc) and a second tab takes you out
>of the widget. Is this the generally accepted practice we want to
>promote? Seems to align well with the GUI pattern of select an
>object, manipulate it and then release it.

That is the proposed practice that the WAI-ARIA design is predicated on.

That does not necessarily equate to "generally accepted." It's an
innovation on the Web. I don't yet know if Josh had read my post and
rejected it, or was simply saying 'amen' to the message I replied to,
without having considered this alternative.

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2007Jul/0084.html

The premise of the PFWG adoption of this two-level navigation in
WAI-ARIA is that it will significantly shorten the TAB list. This
could be an important benefit; as otherwise the TAB list is at risk of
becoming unworkably long. We are expecting that the user will be able
to navigate inside the widget because the widget local-navigation
keys are mostly familiar from dealing with the GUI interfaces of
installed applications.

Al