Re: Keyboard navigation in viewer pane - 3 scenarios.

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:18:36 +0900
To: "Earl Johnson" <Earl.Johnson@sun.com>, wai-xtech@w3.org
Cc: "Tom Wlodkowski" <Thomas.Wlodkowski@corp.aol.com>, "Becky Gibson" <Becky_Gibson@notesdev.ibm.com>

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 08:29:08 +0900, Earl Johnson <Earl.Johnson@sun.com>
wrote:

> Hi Chris;
>
> My understanding, from a researcch only stance, is all keysequences can
> be repurposed in javascript so the browser never sees the keypress.
> I assumed a re-purposing function/method similar to this would work for
> all since jabvascript, being in the page content, always sees the
> keystrokes before the browsxer even.

Nope, the browser decides to pass the key (or not) which it gets from the
OS (or not). The web app only gets it if nobody else has already claimed
it - while that is the default it doesn't always happen. Otherwise things
like one-handed keyboard drivers would be impossible to write...

Cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com    Catch up: Speed Dial   http://opera.com