Re: reCAPTCHA implementation problems

From: Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:56:00 +0100
To: "Ben Maurer" <bmaurer@andrew.cmu.edu>
Cc: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, wai-xtech@w3.org, "Colin McMillen" <mcmillen@cs.cmu.edu>

Hi Ben,

On 13/07/07, Ben Maurer <bmaurer@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

<quote>
So we should probably look into using an element that is more button-like.
Is tab index still going to be an issue here -- we still want to set
tabindex to -1 for visual browsers because it makes more sense in that
case.
</quote>

A tabindex attribute value of -1 will be a serious accessibility
issue, regardless of the type of browser you're targeting. A value of
-1 takes the control (link, button, or anything else that could
receive focus) out of the tab order, which means it cannot be accessed
by people using the keyboard. That won't just effect screen reader
users, but anyone who is unable to use a pointing device. If you want
to ensure the widget is accessible, then any links or buttons must be
accessible with a keyboard.

The only time a tabindex attribute value of -1 is appropriate is if
you definitely do not want people to be able to navigate to the
element with the keyboard, but need to be able to programmatically
focus on the element - this isn't the case here. Requesting a new
CAPTCHA, toggling between visual and audio CAPTCHAs, and getting help
are essential functions that everyone should be able to access, so
those elements must be available with the keyboard alone to be
considered accessible.

Cheers,

Gez

--