[field experience?] PIN echo and talking ATMs

From: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 13:01:27 -0400
To: wai-xtech@w3.org

The usual treatment of passwords and similar secrets on the GUI screen is that
the actual secret is not displayed, so a passer-by can't learn it.

Often we have talked about the idea that this non-echo should be relaxed
when the display is only by private (earphone) audio.

What I don't know is whether there is any actual practice making this
exception.
One place it could show up is in talking ATMs.

When there is an earphone plugged into a talking ATM, does the screen go blank?
Does the PIN echo in the earphone as you enter it?

[experience with a live ATM is most sought]

Al