RE: Reserved keystrokes for browsers and operating system functions

From: John Foliot <foliot@wats.ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 12:48:05 -0800
To: "'Jon Gunderson'" <jongund@uiuc.edu>, "'Aaron M Leventhal'" <aleventh@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "'W3C WAI-PFWG'" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>, "'W3C WAI-XTECH'" <wai-xtech@w3.org>, <wai-xtech-request@w3.org>

Jon Gunderson wrote:
> Aaron,
> Is there a list of key combinations that ARIA (Web 2.0) applications
> should never use?
>
> There are already some conflicts in the best practices, in that case
> the best practices says the Widget should win.
>
> Are these combinations going to be OS and browser specific?
>
> Jon

Jon,

Not sure if this helps any, but my list of reserved keystrokes, while now
over 5 years old, is still pretty-much up-to-date.  Note that this list was
directly in relationship with Accesskey (ALT+___ in Windows environment),
but might serve as a useful start (?).  See:
http://www.wats.ca/show.php?contentid=43 (There is some i18n data there too
- albeit minimal)

I also have a list of keystroke combinations directly related to JAWS
[http://www.wats.ca/show.php?contentid=48], that also features other
activator keys (for example "Prior Link" = SHIFT + TAB) if that is of any
use.

HTH
JF