Re: CSS User Preferences for Colors Support Query

Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

> is anyone aware of ANY user agents that support "User preferences for
> colors", as defined in CSS2?  it seems like one of the most sane
> approaches to honoring the user's default operating system environment's
> settings:

 From some tests I did back in 2005, I seem to remember that IE 6 (and
possibly earlier) and Firefox do actually support system colors.

I raised the question of why system colors were deprecated in CSS3's
color module
(see the thread starting here:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2005Sep/0010.html)
but the discussion got nowhere fast, and the suggestion to retain system
colors was simply rebutted with "that's what 'appearance' is for".

For kicks, I reinstated my old test page
http://dev.splintered.co.uk/system_prefs/

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/