Re: Update ARIA Examples: Live Regions and Tab Panel

Yes, some of the W3C specs themselves even break that rule, or at least
used to,

- Aaron

Aaron Leventhal
IBM web accessibility architect
Voice: 781-583-4083
Tie line: 364-5945
http://www.mozilla.org/access

"Gez Lemon" <gez.lemon@gmail.com>
08/31/2007 04:35 PM

Aaron M Leventhal/Cambridge/IBM@IBMUS
cc
"Jon Gunderson" <jongund@uiuc.edu>, "W3C WAI-PFWG" <w3c-wai-pf@w3.org>,
w3c-wai-pf-request@w3.org, "W3C WAI-XTECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Subject
Re: Update ARIA Examples: Live Regions and Tab Panel

Thanks, Aaron. I vaguely remember reading something from Henri Sivonen
about Firefox changing its accept header to prefer text/html, but
wanted to clarify that Firefox is still okay with
application/xhtml+xml when using XHTML 1.1. As the specification
states that XHTML 1.1 should not be served as text/html, I prefer not
to use text/html (I have this thing about rules that probably isn't
healthy).

Have a great weekend.

Thanks,

Gez

On 31/08/2007, Aaron M Leventhal <aleventh@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Yes it's fine to serve XHTML to Firefox.
>
> By "prefers" I meant something different -- that there was a technical
change in how it interprets the http-accept header. If the page can be
served either way Firefox will actually ask for HTML. Apparently the
incremental rendering works better then, or something like that.

> The community does probably prefer HTML over XHTML as well. But, there
is nothing to stop anyone from using XHTML mime type.

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/ARIA:_Accessible_Rich_Internet_Applications#Choosing_XHTML_or_HTML

--
Supplement your vitamins