Re: Investigating the proposed alt attribute recommendations in HTML 5

Maciej wrote:
>It looks like the flickr page you tested is a search, which doesn't include
the title or caption. What about a page like this (I found it from the
>example you used), where the titles are included, and are duplicated by the
alt text:

>http://www.flickr.com/photos/11994078@N04/

If we look at the page you provided, we still have the same issue, a choice
between a duplicate text title being announced for each image when the page
is read using

case 1 - user uses The JAWS read all command:

For a text, & alt pair the screen reader would announce
with the title repeated as the alt

"Sgt.Pepper and Robinone
Link Graphic Sgt.Pepper and Robinone "

with no alt attribute

 "Sgt.Pepper and Robinone
  Link Graphic  slash one billion two hundred thirty-seven million eight
hundred seventy-four thousand two hundred ninety-three underline eight
dfcdzerocbfe underline t.jpg"

which is preferable?

if a null alt text is used (alt="")
the result is the same as for no alt attribute, because the image is the
sole content of the link.

case 2 - If the user employed the common navigation method of tabbing
through the page:

when the user tabbed to a photo link with  alt text:

"Link Graphic Sgt.Pepper and Robinone"

when the user tabbed to a photo link without an  alt attribute:

"Link Graphic  slash one billion two hundred thirty-seven million eight
hundred seventy-four thousand two hundred ninety-three underline eight
dfcdzerocbfe underline t.jpg"

which is preferable?

>Based on what you said about JAWS, it sounds like alt="" might give the
best results in that version of JAWS.

Could you clarify? are you referring to the example page you provided or the
page i used?

>might give the best results in that version of JAWS

The results i described are good for JAWS versions 6.2+, they may be the
same for earlier version i didn't check. Window eyes behaviour is similar
(as noted in the article)

>http://www.flickr.com/photos/11994078@N04/

Thanks for providing another example page I will test and update the
article.