Re: argument for only ONE set of radio button navigation keys

The addition of support for left and right arrow keys in radio groups was
intended to match the current behavior of radio buttons in the browser.
Currently up and left arrows move to the previous radio in the group and
right and down arrow keys will move to the next radio in the group. Note
that the wiki has up/left moving forward and right/down moving backwards
which I believe is opposite of the current behavior and hopefully just a
typo.

I think you are suggesting that only one set of arrows be implemented -
either up/down and left/right.   My feeling that supporting both was
accommodating to all users.  I believe that a visual l person encountering
a horizontal grouping would assume left and right key navigation and up
and down key navigation for a vertical orientation.  By supporting both
sets the person who can not perceive the orientation can use either set of
keys.

-becky

Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote on 08/24/2007 01:48:30 PM:

> aloha, all!
>
> in a recent update to the ARIA Best Practices wiki, the following
> was added
>
> <quote cite="http://esw.w3.org/topic/RadioButton">
>   * Pressing the arrow keys moves focus and selection.
>   * Up or Left Arrow key press moves focus forward between buttons
>     in the group.
>   * Down or Right Arrow key press moves focus backward between
>     buttons in the group
> <unquote>
>
> i would like to register a vote of strong disagreement of such a
> keybinding -- there should be only ONE standardized mechanism for
> cycling through radio button groups/fieldsets regardless of how the
> grouping is visually presented:
>
> GJR's PROPOSED CHANGE TO TEXT

history abbreviated see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2007Aug/0122.html for