Alternate Additional Attribute Set for a Single Quote Element

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 12:02:30 -0400
To: public-html@w3.org, wai-xtech@w3.org

this is a bit of re-thinking of the issues i've raised on-list about
deprecating Q and BLOCKQUOTE in favor of a single QUOTE element,
summarized at:

there is also a comprehensive review of Q, QUOTE, and BLOCKQUOTE in HTML5
by robert burns:

Additional Alternate Attribute Set for a Single Quote Element

1. @type - defines the type of quotation:

   * type="inline"
   * type="nested"
   * type="block"

these type attributes should determine how a QUOTE is rendered:

   * inline, embedded in surrounding non-quoted text;
   * nested, a way of including a QUOTE that includes a QUOTE;
   * block, render contents of the QUOTE element as a block element

2. a for/id binding between the Q/QUOTE element and the CITE element;
   and a reuse mechanism for newly quoted material derived from the
   same resource/anchor, which contains previously quoted content,
   or content from a common source

3. choosing a target attribute (actionable quotes pointing to

     * either reuse @cite or, since @cite is not widely supported,
       @src could be used to point at target, but i'd prefer a simple
       @href, since that seems to be the most widely supported
       exposure mechanism

4. the CITE element needs a targeting mechanism for linking to
   Dublin Core reference files -- please consult the following:

4a) initial thoughts on redefining CITE's attribute set can be found at:

4b) Dublin Core References & Resources can be found at:

Note: test pages for support for the Q and BLOCKQUOTE elements as defined
by HTML 4.01 can be found at

primary source documents, marked-up so as to be linked to at the
paragraph, sentence, and sometimes even clause level can be found
in the following directory:

the pages also test for support for the CSS2 :before and :after
pseudo-elements for the generation of emphatic quotes (i used
the EM element for this purpose, so that there is a fallback to
demarcate emphasis, even if the open-quote and close-quote values
are not supported by a particular user agent -- in the ideal
world, emphatic quotes would have the following @media screen style

em { font-style: italic; }
em.em-quote { font-style: normal; }
em.em-quote:before { content: open-quote; }
em.em-quote:after { contents: close-quote; }

the above style rules for the screen media type, except for the
em.em-quote's font-style being set to "normal", as well as
complimentary style rules using the aural media type are used
within the test documents

When we do the best that we can, we never know what miracle is
wrought in our life, or in the life of another. - Helen Keller
Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net