when not to use XHTML?

From: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:19:20 -0400
To: wai-xtech@w3.org

<quote
cite="http://www.w3.org/mid/200606020719.k527Jpt01479@djwhome.demon.co.uk">

However, it is still a bad idea to use Appendix C XHTML unless you also
intend to serve it with a proper XHTML media type when talking to compatible
browsers AND it uses name space mixing on those browsers.  Also, if one
does so, one should always specify the character set at both XML and
XHTML levels.  There's much more about the Appendix C mode issues in the
thread from February entitled "Question about XHTML 2.0 and content type".

</quote>

the referenced thread is at

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2006Feb/thread.html#msg76

I haven't researched this issue enough to have a position, but I
think it's germane.

Al