more recent hooks Re: the Q element and WCAG2

At 9:19 PM +0200 8/24/06, Christophe Strobbe wrote:
>Hi Gregory,
>
>At 18:31 24/08/2006, Gregory Rosmaita wrote:
>
>>this is a reaction to a thread on the w3c-wai-gl emailing list,
>>which starts at (long URI warning)
>>[http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2006JulSep/0124.html]
>>
>>although this thread began on a specific list (the guidelines
>>group's list, to be precise) i am addressing this post to ALL
>>WAI working groups via the XTECH list, as the issue of use
>>of the Q element to denote actual quotations is a
>>cross-working group matter...
>>
>>in the post cited above, david macdonald wrote:
>>
>>quote
>>I think we can easily address that concern. We introduce a failure technique
>>that says:
>>
>>Failure: placing spaces between quotation marks and the text they are
>>surrounding.
>>
>>Then we could use Cynthia's suggestion, and make using quotation marks a
>>sufficient way to mark up quotations, *and* we could make sufficient
>>technique that says using the <Q> element with CSS would be another way
>>to meet the SC.
>>unquote
>>
>>i can hardly believe that such an idea - that use of Q is optional
>>and use of punctuation marks acceptable - is gaining momentum on
>>the w3c-wai-gl list...
>
>I wouldn't say that this idea is "gaining momentum" but rather
>"floating around".
>I believe it refers to the last call comment 695:
>http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/issue-tracking/viewdata_individual.php?id=695
>.
>
>>we shouldn't be advising authors to use hacks
>>such as character entities to denote quotations (...)
>>
>>the Q element is more than merely a textual marker which replaces
>>the character entity &#34; or actual quotation marks
>>(...)
>>please WCAG, don't throw Q out with the bathwater,
>
>What the WCAG WG discussed in last week's telecon was something
>different:
>because IE does support Q but does not render quotation marks
>automatically, the proposal was to
>- add quotation marks manually around Q elements;
>- add CSS rules to suppress auto-generated quotes in browers
>that do render quotation marks for Q elements (Opera, Firefox,
>Mozilla).
>
>I hope this proposal is less controversial.

[data mining drudge, here  - Al]

where one can find this in the record of that meeting:
http://www.w3.org/2006/08/17-wai-wcag-irc#T21-09-48

Maybe a good, recent, relevant place to enter the thread:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2006JulSep/0155.html

Al